Kevin had a cholesterol blood test done at work this past week. It really was an eye opener for me. Both of Kevin's grandpas died from heart attacks. My father had a heart attack several years ago and he also has diabetes (along with ALL of his siblings). Anyways, Kevin is 5'11'' and weighs 164 lbs. He's also in pretty darn good shape. His BMI, blood pressure, LDL, blood glucose, etc. were all "optimal". However, his HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) was AT RISK. From what the medical people told Kevin, this still puts him at risk for heart disease! Crazy. So we are going to do all we can to get his HDL up higher.... We're shooting for aerobic exercise for an hour - 6 days a week, consuming more omega 3 foods (cranberry juice, fish, etc.), and we're losing weight. We are also shooting for 2 meatless days per week and we are going to only eat beef and pork occasionally. I actually think I'd like to go get a cholesterol test to see where I stand... It was a real eye opener for us both.
I haven't lost any weight this week - but my focus has been on planning and carrying out this HUGE birthday party for my friend who has terminal cancer. The party was yesterday - and it was a huge success. Now that it's over, I feel like I can focus again on losing weight. I want to lose at least one pound a week.
I also invited my friends Sarah and Tori to join our biggest loser blog! I think they will be joining up here soon... they go and work out everyday at 5 am... and I believe Tori has lost something like 12 lbs. since the beginning of the year!
Good work everyone with the continued weight loss and exercise. We rock!
This is Sarah. I am starting to lose weight as of Monday, Feb 1. I will weigh in then. I have been working out hard for a month, but not losing weight because I have been eating lots of junk. Now that this big party is over, I am ready to buckle down. I will post my weight and goals tomorrow, as will Tori. Thanks for letting me join!
ReplyDelete