Friday, April 16, 2010

Flip Side

So, has anyone ever considered investigating the flip side to being thin and losing weight? Has anyone investigated the fat acceptance movement or fat rights movement? In our efforts to lose weight, have we considered other facets of thought? Why? Why do we want to lose weight? What do we hope to achieve? I'm not talking about the end goal of being 120 or 130 lbs or whatever.....I'm talking about what being 120 or 130 lbs. will be. Anyone want to explore this topic with me? Debate, discuss, think, talk???

4 comments:

  1. Whoops, this post if from Al. Forgot to put that. Also, I went to Olive Garden with my parents for lunch yesterday and didn't eat one breadstick. Wow. That's a major wow for me. I normally eat 2 or 3. I didn't eat one. Funny thing...today, I completely forgot about that. It's not like I'm traumatized because I didn't eat a yummy breadstick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My big reason for wanting to lose weight is just so I can be healthy. Granted, it's nice to be able to buy cute clothes and feel thin - but really, the reason is to be healthy and live longer! Both Kevin and I have cancer and heart disease in our families and we want to do our part to discourage any preventable maladies.

    But at the same time, I have to be reasonable. What happens if I set a weight goal and can never obtain it? How do I determine what a healthy, acceptable weight really is? Can I be happy even if I am over my ideal weight? Hmmm... a lot to think about....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goal is to be healthy enough to do everything I want to do. I also want to look good, not like a super model but fit. I loved where I was a year ago, being able to shop in regular sizes instead of plus sizes.
    I know I'll never be within ideal weight ranges because they don't account for my body type. But I can be at a healthy reasonable weight and set a good example for my girls. I don't want to pass on my insecurities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flip side to being thin...For me when I'm not at my ideal weight I don't feel like being as active. My joints are more sore, the impact of running hurts my knees and ankles. When I was training for a marathon I lost some weight and I could really feel a difference when I was even just five pounds lighter. There is a balance to everything because some people are so skinny it looks unhealthy. If it looks unhealthy then they are probably not very healthy either. Your menstrual cycle gets irregular, you can black out very easily, you tire very easy, you can't give blood. So yes I think you need to be careful about that and also careful not to get too occupied about weight, because muscle does weigh more then fat.

    ReplyDelete